Saturday, April 27, 2013

In Season: The Elusive (Baby) Artichoke


One oft-lauded theory I try to practice is eating produce that is in-season (and preferably, local). Sounds simple enough, but figuring out exactly what's in season and what isn't can be tricky when so much produce at our markets is imported (or worse - genetically modified to grow year-round). Stumbling onto this infographic was a God-send - visual, clear, simple. I've saved the images to my iPhone for easy reference at the store; might help you, too.

Which brings me to a rather polarizing Spring vegetable: artichokes! I thought I was relatively fearless in the kitchen, but seriously - every time I see these thorny little kids at the market, I turn my gaze downwards and stroll past them, hoping they won't recognize my shame. I know they're delicious when cooked a la Romana, amazing steamed and drizzled with olive oil, and loaded with nutrition. According to Organic Authority, they're a 'super source' of fiber, Vitamin C, magnesium, iron and potassium, and known for their antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which support eye health. They're considered detoxifying (a liver-cleanser), a diuretic, a digestive aid and lower cholesterol. So what's not to love and OD on while they're in season? The fact that they're intimidating as hell to prepare - at least to the novice (me).

So, I went for a 10-mile bike ride (it's a mind-blowing beautiful Spring day in Manhattan - 60s - so the whole city is in heat), and came home energized to do this. I bought baby artichokes (smaller, faster to cook, and you can eat the heart whole, unlike regular artichokes). I wanted them crispy vs. soggy, so I decided I'd experiment with an 'a la Romana' variation (read: not fried and quick to prepare). So here's what I did:

  1. Prepare: 1 large bowl with ice and the juice of half a lemon; toss in the used lemon slices
  2. Clean: Wash them. Then cut off the stem and the top layer of the baby artichokes, removing all the thorny ends and outer leaves. See this for detailed reference. While the recommendation was to remove any leaves with purple, I decided to keep some of them on because I actually enjoy the crispier, firm texture of the outside layers. Plus, I wanted protection from their becoming soggy. This was my choice (for better or worse), but you can chuck any leaves with purple.
  3. Protect (from browning): As I finished cleaning each choke, I'd quarter it and immediately add it to the bowl in step 1 
  4. Cook: Heated a great ceramic pan (medium heat) with 1 tbsp olive oil and finely chopped garlic. I used a couple of cloves, but this is entirely up to you. Shook the water out of the artichoke quarters, and tossed them onto the pan. Added more lemon juice and truffle salt gradually, lowered the heat a bit, and cooked them for about 10-15 minutes at lower heat. I like them a bit crispy, so that was sufficient for me.
And voila: the finished product is photographed.

The verdict: Very tasty (the olive oil, lemon and truffle salt complemented them perfectly). Crispy and chewy on the exterior (granted - I like them a bit burnt). Creamier as you get closer to the middle. And the intimidation factor is gone. I can cut and prepare baby artichokes. But this was only strike 1 - I'll continue experimenting with these until I land on the perfect degree of crispiness to honor the Romans' intention. Stay tuned for that one.

Have a great weekend!
- P

1 comment:

  1. You made it seem easy and very appealing to cook the artichockes and has given me the incentive to try it myself. The visual presentation is great and the amount of detail in the recipe, step by step, is very clear and easy to follow. Thanks!!! In addition, the nutritional information is very helpful. Good luck on your efforts!!!!

    ReplyDelete