Friday, May 10, 2013

Recalibration, Day 2.5 and Disaster Prevention: What to Keep On Hand for When You're Too Tired To Cook

* Image attribution to New York Times

I'll keep this post short, and without a recipe per se - but with some creative, easy go-to recommendations.

Some of you may know that I'm challenging myself with a two-week recalibration to shake my sugar addiction (beyond the obvious, see this video to understand why I believe this is important), and to generally hit the reset button on my body and digestive system. I generally make very healthy food choices, buy and consume a lot of organic produce, choose pastured beef - but good Lord, do I love my sweets. 2+ tablespoons of honey with my morning oatmeal. Honey and lemon with green tea (twice a day). A little piece of chocolate after lunch or dinner - you get the picture. It may be natural, but it sure adds up (did you think I was done with the honey after breakfast? Nay.) Once you have some of the good stuff, your taste buds generally want MORE.

So, back to recalibration. Darya Rose's approach is very simple and boils down to eliminating 4 key foods:
  1. No sugar 
  2. No wheat
  3. No dairy
  4. No alcohol
So, I'm 2.5 days in, and I can already notice a clear change in my mood and energy levels throughout the day. No highs and lows of blood-sugar (and energy level) before and after meals. No bloating.  A clearer mind. And I'm challenging myself with slowing down and recognizing what's driving any desires to snack - is it escapism from a piece of work I'm trying to crack, boredom, frustration - or truly hunger? 

I'm definitely 'all in' on this. I feel good. I'm motivated to lose my rabid sweet tooth, and to gain full control and awareness over my food choices. Call me a masochist, but I enjoy a challenge that forces me to understand what's beneath any sense of discomfort.

But last night, after a later evening at the office and catching up with some friends, I didn't get home until after 9pm, feeling tired and HUNGRY - and honestly, not motivated to wait 20 minutes to cook some quinoa or farro. I was also out of fresh greens (and in need of a market run immediately). I know this is a question often asked by a lot of us - what do you choose that is easy and healthy when you just don't feel like cooking? I need this go-to list, as well - so here's what I netted out at:
  • Eggs (organic): they take 5 minutes to scramble and cook (I enjoy a good breakfast for dinner)
  • Arugula, kale or baby spinach for a quick salad (just add olive oil, salt, pepper and toss)
  • Baby tomatoes: Toss with olive oil, by themselves or with other greens. You can lose count of these kids and they won't make a dent in your waistline - but they will fill you up
  • Avocado: Take half, add salt and eat by itself or on greens. Alternatively, mix with bananas, lemon juice and fresh pineapple chunks (if you have them). Delicious salad with protein, essential fatty acids, vitamin C and natural sweetness.
  • Yellow squash: 5 minutes to shred with a good peeler and saute in 5 minutes. And behold... squash 'pasta'!
  • Bananas: Instant potassium and satiation when you'd otherwise grab a cookie. Also, toss with avocado for a surprisingly good salad.
  • Gluten free oats (devoid of any traces of wheat): 5 minutes to home cooked oatmeal. Again with the breakfast for dinner
  • Almond butter (more nutritious than peanut butter): Make sure you choose one that is natural, has 2-3 ingredients max. Store it bottom up so that the oil rises to the bottom of the jar. Add it to almond milk and a banana for a nutritious, tasty and fast smoothie.
I know I'm but touching the surface here - there's so much you can keep on hand to maintain your healthy food choices, even when you just...don't...feel...like cooking. What other ideas do you have? I'd love to hear and learn from your creative go-tos.

P.S. So much for a short post. Have a great weekend!

- Paloma

No comments:

Post a Comment