Thursday, August 22, 2013

Trading Apples for Oranges: From the Big Apple to Florida's Magic City


After a period of abnormally high stress or demands on my time and attention, I know things are settling back to 'normal' when I feel the urge to commit my thoughts to written word. After relocating to Miami from New York in early August, reconnecting to a base of family and friends, and beginning a new job and career path, the burning desire to write finally came coursing through my veins again. It's as if my mind now fully caught up to all the other changes that were taking place in and around me.

But let me get back to business - this is a blog dedicated to food. Forget my poetic musings on my sense of grounding through writing. What's the word on cooking and eating in this town?

One blatant observation surrounding the change in my diet, lifestyle - and state of mind - since moving to Miami is the increased sense of lightness and balance I've felt, versus the intensity and excess of New York. With the move of course came trade-offs.

I've had less time and facilities to cook for myself - but longer, slower and lighter meals at home and out. A lot less daily walking within my commute (Miami is a driver's city - not a pedestrian's), but a lot more cycling, running and swimming (the geography also makes it an outdoor enthusiast's dream). Less access to the farm-to-table bounty that is the Union Square Greenmarket - but more access to freshly-caught seafood and ceviche, mango and sardines from the Spanish market. Fewer 24-hour options and less of the varying extremes and excesses of Manhattan life (work too hard, indulge too hard) - but more balance, slowing down to enjoy my meals and the people I'm having them with. And a smaller waistline to boot. 

This isn't meant as a criticism of life in New York. I loved living (and eating) in that city with every ounce of my being, and I was 'all in' during most of my time there; until I wasn't. Every city has its culture. We're fluid beings that change and evolve over time - and an individual changes far more nimbly than the collective, hard-wired norms, code and 'rules' that have come to define a city's essence over time. I changed - but I didn't expect the city to change with me. So it stands to reason that as I evolved as an individual, I'd want to change cities to better align my attitudes and values to that of where I live (and eat).  

And so, I traded the "have-anything-you-want, as-much-as-you-want, when-you-want-it" culture of living and eating in Manhattan for the "slow-down-and-enjoy-a-bit-of-this-pastelito-and-a-bit-of-that-croqueta (but not too much - you need to look good in a bikini year-round)" attitude of Miami. I found my relationship to and enjoyment of food to be much more balanced once I diminished the extremes of New York. The balance I've found in that trade-off is exactly what I needed - though I'll always be a gal that enjoys first running the faucet hot or cold, before finding the perfect temperature. For me, balance is best enjoyed after I've first tested the extremes (and for that, I thank New York).

Stay tuned for recipes with the local good stuff - mango, plantains, coconut, avocado, and fish - soon.



1 comment:

  1. Wow!!!! You surely were inspired when you sat down to write. It's good that you were able to enjoy the NYC lifestyle and now have the opportunity to again enjoy the new lifestyle that you chose and needed. Change is always good.....enjoy your new life in sunny South Florida!!!! It is warm and welcoming....not only climatically but also socially and emotionally....The tropical foods and fresh seafood await!!! Enjoy them!!!!

    ReplyDelete