Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hit the Sauce! Home-Made Basil Pesto


After catching a Spring cold (and allergies), I've very reluctantly spent more of the weekend indoors than I'd have liked. Despite the perfect 50's - 60's temperatures, endless sun and perfect biking conditions - congestion, going through multiple tissues in a half hour, eyes welling up, etc. - made it too uncomfortable to be outdoors for long. I know...DEAD SEXY. But rather than sulk more than I already have, I decided to up my own ante as a home chef by making my own sauce from scratch. I wanted something fresh, versatile, easy on ingredients (less than 5) and quick to prepare. Hands down, I went for basil pesto.

I'll start by saying that - in addition to being delicious and one of the most aromatic herbs that can fill your kitchen - the humble basil leaf is rather nutritious. And for someone that suffers from highly irregular PVCs (they're under control now), I was surprised to learn that basil is actually particularly good for cardiovascular health. According to Livestrong (say what you will about Armstrong, but the site is still extremely informative):

  • Basil is high in several vitamins and minerals related to cardiovascular health, including the antioxidant vitamin A, which prevents free radicals from oxidizing cholesterol and causing it to build up in the blood vessels; and the mineral magnesium, which causes the muscles and blood vessels to relax, thereby helping improve blood flow and reduce risk of irregular heartbeat or heart spasms. Dried and fresh basil are both high in folate and vitamin K and contain trace amounts of vitamin E and the rest of the B vitamins. Basil also has vitamin C, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and trace amounts of other essential minerals.
  • Additionally, basil contains flavonoids like vicenin and orientin with antioxidant properties, as demonstrated in a 2001 study reported in "Mutation Research." The study showed that these two compounds, extracted from Indian holy basil, protect human lymphocytes from exposure to low and non-toxic levels of radiation. Basil also has volatile oils with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, as demonstrated in a 2010 "Pharmaceutical Biology" study on sweet basil. The researchers found that its essential oils have antibacterial effects on a number of pathogens, including staphylococcus.
So it's delicious, can aid cardiovascular (and overall) health, fills a kitchen with an incomparably fresh, natural scent, and is versatile (use to top cannellini beans on in my truffled mash, pasta, crostini or with vegetables). And it was crazy easy to make. Here's how:
  • Buy: A generous bunch of fresh basil (preferably organic), good olive oil, pine nuts and sea salt. 
  • Prep: In a food processor/chopper, add basil and about 2 tablespoons pine nuts and chop. If the container is too small to hold all your basil leaves at once, just chop as much as you can and then add more basil leaves gradually. Once all your basil and the 2-3 tablespoons of pine nuts are chopped, slowly add a bit of olive oil (a drizzle at a time) until it reaches your desired consistency. Personally, I like mine a bit chunky, with a much higher ratio of basil and pine nuts to olive oil. But the consistency is your call.
  • Eat: Enjoy as a sauce over pasta, spread it on bread, or savor your creation from a small spoon. Refrigerate the rest and enjoy throughout the week.
Despite my nasty congestion, I thoroughly enjoyed the scent of basil throughout my kitchen, and the smug satisfaction of knowing I made this classic Italian sauce myself - and that it tasted amazing. I might now be ready to cook for my Italian friends. Dolce vita indeed.

- Paloma



1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring me to spend more time in the kitchen preparing simple meals (as I used to do years ago when the nest was full). Your enthusiasm is apparent and contagious!!!! Next on the list: pesto sauce!!!!

    ReplyDelete